Sunday, August 28, 2005

breathe out

it's all in the breathing out...

several years ago i read a book on meditation that helped me develop my practice, a book that taught me not to worry about how much or how many breaths i take in, but simply choose my pace in how i breathe out. until then i generally ended up hyperventilating whenever i attempted a breathing practice. from this reading i learned to choose how i want to breathe by pacing my breaths out, and my breathing in would respond according to what my body needs. it worked for me and i never hyperventilated again.


in my august 23 post "keep walking" i wrote of having to remind myself to breathe out during a stressful walk. during the days that followed i've been increasing my speed as i walk in my early hours, consciously and deliberately pacing how i breathe. while i walk i think maybe this breathing lesson crosses through the rest of my life. maybe it is all about what i put out. after all, what i breathe out goes into the universe and the universe is what i breathe in.

what i love, what i want, what i seek, it's all in what i am putting out...

photo posted with the gracious permission of artist graham jeffery

2 comments:

shyloh said...

I love the way you what you said here "what i breathe out goes into the universe and the universe is what i breathe in." That is so very true.

diana christine said...

isn't it a lovely state of the Universe that the gifts we give are the gifts we receive. many blessings, shyloh, on the beautiful work you do...