Sunday, August 28, 2005

mama mia!

it was just after dawn this morning that i stepped out for my daily walk. as i passed sleeping households i thought of all the pajama-clad bodies lingering in their beds inside. isn't this what weekend mornings are for...

i turned a corner and suddenly saw an old italian woman walking down her steps toward me, her face breaking into a smile as she watched me approach. she opened her arms wide and seemed so pleased to see me. i wondered if she thought i was someone she once knew. she was wearing a dress and rolled stockings even this early in the morning. she seemed so pleased to see me i felt i simply must cross the street and say hello.

she put her arms around me and i returned her embrace. "what have you been doing?" she asked. "working," i replied.

"doing what?" she asked. "writing, mostly," i answered. she beamed at me.

"where do you live?" she asked, and it was apparent she was not mistaking me for anyone else. she was simply delighted to be meeting me now on this early morning. i pointed to my street and told her i lived across from the school.

"do you live here?" i indicated the house and steps i watched her come down. "no" she responded, and instead pointed to a house on the other side of the street. "i am just helping my neighbors" and she explained that she was busy picking up her neighbors' morning newspapers and putting them on their top steps so they would not have to run out to their yards. "ah, how lovely of you to help" i replied.

"you are walking?" she questioned. "yes, i do this every morning. walking three miles or four" i answered her.

"mama mia!" she exclaimed. she grabbed my elbow and squeezed me hard. "mama mia! you be careful!" i said i would.

i continued my walk and returned to my writing but her beaming face and her tender care have kept me warm all day...

6 comments:

Meat O' Benito said...

Isn't it wonderful when the world reflects the fire of warmth you hold inside? It can a complicated mirror to pear into at times, but then there's mornings like yours when there is nothing to cycle back and forth but pleasant humanity.

cheers to you.

diana christine said...

ah, yes...that mirror of our lives! i need constant reminding what i see is what i am...

shyloh said...

How wonderful. Such a nice heart felt story.
"What I see is what I am" Now that is perfect!!!

diana christine said...

hi shyloh. indeed, every beauty i see is a reflection of my own. and in the same way, everything that frustrates me is a picture of something i hold...

Mark Walter said...

"what have you been doing?"

What a great way to greet you! And what a wonderful reaction you helped bring out of her!

diana christine said...

mark, you are so right (and a great question to ask myself from time to time!). she was so lovely that i plan to take home-baked bread to her during the next couple of days (if i can find the right house!).